Que.2 A) Read the unseen extract and complete the activities given below: (12)
We often here this statement that many of our young spend more time before their T.V. sets, than they do in, their classrooms or with their textbooks,” A bit exaggerated though it may sound, it is nearly true and our teenagers are being considerably influenced by electronic media, particularly the T.V. The television has become the single most powerful influence in the lives of many of our youngsters today. Too often this happens to us much before we realise it ourselves. I am in no way trying to deny the many advantages of T.V. or minimise its manifold contributions to our world. On the other hand, I consider T.V. as one of the greatest scientific achievements of our times, bringing people closer than never before. Television’s use of the modern satellite technology brings today even the remotest regions of the world to us in seconds, making the world a small (global) village. As we know, television also provide us with a fuller and more impressive coverage of current events than any other media. The T.V. does serve, in addition, as a medium of education as well as entertainment. Besides helping us to learn subjects taught in schools, college in upper depth, it enables us (National Geography, Discovery channels etc.) to see and appreciate from close quarters (without having to go there, which is very expensive or even impossible for most of us) the wonders of God’s creations in any part of the world.
A1 Global Understanding
State whether the statements are true or false correct the wrong statement: 2
1) Our many young spend more time in front of T.V. sets.
2) Today even the remotest region of the word can be brought to us in hours.
3) T.V. brings more impressive coverage of current events than any other media.
4) T.V. serves as an additional medium of education.
A2 Write any two advantages & two disadvantages of televisions. 2
A3 Guess the intention of writing this extract. 2
A4 Write your opinion about spending lot of time in front of T.V. is beneficial for students or not. 2
A5 Vocabulary 2
write down the correct words by reading given meaning of them.
1) recognise the full worth of
2) a thing done successfully with effort.
A6 Grammar 2
1) The T.V does serve as a medium of education as well as an entertainment.
(Rewrite it using Not only—- but also)
2) I consider T.V as one of the greatest scientific achievements of our time.
(Rewrite the sentence using the noun form of underline word.)
B) Summary Writing: (3)
1) Our many young spend more time in front of T.V. sets.True
2) Today even the remotest region of the word can be brought to us in hours.False (it should be “seconds” instead of “hours”)
3) T.V. brings more impressive coverage of current events than any other media.True
4) T.V. serves as an additional medium of education.True
Brings people closer and connects the world
Provides impressive coverage of current events
Can negatively influence young people
Can be addictive and lead to a sedentary lifestyle
The intention of writing this extract is to present a balanced view of television, acknowledging its benefits while also highlighting its potential negative impact on young people.
Spending a lot of time in front of T.V. is not beneficial for students as it can negatively impact their academic performance, physical health, and social development.
Not only does the T.V serve as a medium of education, but also as entertainment.
Television is one of the greatest scientific achievements of our times.
B) Advantages and Disadvantages
Television is a powerful influence on young people’s lives. While it has many advantages, such as connecting people and providing impressive coverage of current events, it can also negatively impact young people’s academic performance, physical health, and social development