The words too-to have a negative meaning but affirmative structure. It means ‘more than is necessary or desirable’. The words enough to have positive meaning. It means as much as necessary of desirable.
· It was too wimpy to carry the semantic burden.
Structure = too + adjective + to + infinitive
· The photo was clear enough to see every detail of the ground.
Structure = adjective + enough + infinitive
Study the following table to understand the uses of too-to, enough and so-that.
|9 Situations||Sentences Using “Too” Or “Enough”||Sentences Using ‘so – that’|
|1 Bad weather – go out for a picnic||The weather is too bad to go out for a picnic.||The weather is so bad that I can not go out.|
|2.Played well – win the match||We played well enough to win the match.||We played so well that we won the match.|
|3 Very clever – understand the scheme.||He is clever enough to understand the scheme.||He is so clever that he will understand the scheme.|
|4Sour apples – eat them.||The apples are too sour to eat.||The apples are so sour that we can not eat them.|
|5 old and – get job||She is too old and too weak to get a job.||She is so old and so weak that she will not get a job.|
|6 Strong battery – last for eight hours||The battery is strong enough to last for eight hours.||The battery is so strong that it will last for eight hours.|
|7 difficult problem – explain it||The problem is too difficult to explain.||The problem is so difficult that it can not be explained. Or that I can not explain it.|
|8 mature children – travel to school on their own.||The children are mature enough to travel on their own.||The children are so mature that they can travel on their own.|
|9 Adventurous Sujata – climb up the mountain||Sujata was adventurous enough to climb up the mountain.||Sujata was so adventurous that she could climb up the mountain.|
Synthesis of the clauses
Combine (Synthesize) the following sentences with ‘too-to’ or ‘enough’ and ‘so-that’.
- She was rich . She could buy a car.
- The old man was very weak. He couldn’t walk properly.
- The mathematical problem was difficult. The students couldn’t solve it.
- Their house is large. It can accommodate their big family.
- She is very emotional. She can’t tolerate any rude behaviour.
- The peak was very high. The mountaineers couldn’t climb it.
- The dog was very sensitive. It could trail the hiding place of the criminals.
Key for ‘too’ or ‘enough‘
- She was rich enough to buy a car.
- The old man was too weak to walk properly. (Negative Meaning /Affirmative Sentence)
- The mathematical problem was too difficult to solve. (Negative Meaning /Affirmative Sentence)
- Their house is large enough to accommodate their big family.
- She is too emotional to tolerate any rude behaviour. (Negative Meaning /Affirmative Sentence)
- The peak was too high for the mountaineers to climb.
- The dog was sensitive enough to trail the hiding place of the criminals.
Key for ‘so—that’
- She was so rich that she could buy a car.
- The old man was so weak that he couldn’t walk properly. (Negative Sentence)
- The mathematical problem was so difficult that the students couldn’t solve it.(Negative Sentence)
- Their house is so large that it can accommodate their big family.
- She is so emotional that she can’t tolerate any rude behavior.(Negative Sentence)
- The peak was so high that the mountaineers couldn’t climb it.
- The dog was so sensitive that it could trail the hiding place of the criminals.