To write English perfectly one should know what is a sentence pattern. Different sentence patterns with ample examples and exercise are given here. Only reading and no practice will not do the job. Feel free to comment if you want to practice more.
Studying sentence patterns will help us to make new sentences correctly. We need to make new sentences while speaking or writing. So we will study sentence patterns. There are five common patterns. A sentence contains components like subject, verb, object and complement.
Subject + Verb
- Birds fly.
- Cuckoo sings.
- It was raining.
- A herd of cattle was grazing.
Subject + Verb + Object.
- I read a story.
- She composed an E-mail.
- Women are fetching water.
- He whatsapped me.
Subject + Verb + Complement.
- He is handsome.
- The grass is green.
- It is a book.
- Ramesh went to school.
Subject + Verb + Object + Complement
- Student’s council made Jane Editor.
- The company made Rakesh Satpute General Manager.
- It has made me very happy.
- The Headmaster appointed me as Supervisor.
Subject + Verb + Object + Object
- My sister bought me a doll.
- Shyamkant Pimpalkar teaches us English.
- I will send Ashish Derkar an E-mail.
- Chandan gave the King an advice.
Subject+ Verb+ Adverb
- Manoj speaks fluently.
- Harsh plays smoothly.
- It rains heavily.
Read the following table and frame as many sentences as possible using the above sentence patterns.
|Sachin||(be) am, is, are, was, were||patient||red||loudly||rich|
|I, We, He, You, They||have, has, had||English||attractive||sweetly||yellow|
|Doctor||builds, build, built||cricket||student||joyfully||beautiful|
|People||learn, (be) learning||player||fat|